About

Learn about The Pittsburgh Water & Sewer Authority, including Featured News, Key Projects, The Team, and Performance Metrics.

Debt Outstanding as of 12/31/2019
$872.1 million
Bond Ratings
A3/A
Created In
1984

About The Pittsburgh Water & Sewer Authority

The Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority (“PWSA”) is the largest combined water and sewer authority in Pennsylvania. It provides water, sewer, and stormwater management services to more than 300,000 customers throughout the City of Pittsburgh and the surrounding areas.

Water

The drinking water system contains approximately 965 miles of water lines, 5 reservoirs, and 11 tanks with a water storage capacity of 455 million gallons. The PWSA provides water to the Borough of Millvale and approximately 84% of the total population in the geographic boundary of the City of Pittsburgh. In addition, the PWSA provides bulk water services to Reserve Township, Fox Chapel Borough, and the Borough of Aspinwall, along with being interconnected to several other regional water systems for emergency purposes.

The water distribution system is a vast, complex network that was designed to take advantage of Pittsburgh unique geography. Gravity, along with the help of pump stations, reservoirs, and tanks, moves water throughout Pittsburgh’s hills and valleys.

Sewer

The sewer system includes 1,200 miles of sewer lines and more than 25,000 storm drains. Approximately 75% of the sewer system is a combined system meaning that stormwater and wastewater flow through the same pipe. The remaining 25% is a separated system, which means that wastewater flows through one pipe and stormwater flows through another. The PWSA sends all wastewater to the Allegheny County Sanitary Authority (“ALCOSAN”) wastewater treatment plant, which is not part of the PWSA’s system. ALCOSAN treats wastewater for the 83 municipalities in Allegheny County, including the City of Pittsburgh.

Stormwater

As heavier and more intense rains are overwhelming PWSA’s sewer system, stormwater management is a growing concern throughout Pittsburgh. To solve the problem, the PWSA is taking a more deliberate approach about the way it is managed across Pittsburgh.

Rather than directing all that extra water into a network of pipes, we are distributing the collection of rainwater into a series of stormwater infrastructure projects across the city. This distributed approach will help to capture, absorb, hold back, and slow the flow of stormwater.

These methods use a combination of green and gray infrastructure and integrate into the natural environment. It is a cost-effective approach that will help to create safe, flood-prepared neighborhoods.

Key Projects

Capital Improvement Plan

2020-2024 Capital Improvement Plan

The 2020-2024 includes over $1 billion of capital improvements to be completed over the next five years. These improvements includes upgrading the water treatment plant, drinking water, stormwater, sewer systems, and building green infrastructure. 

This comprehensive approach to rebuilding infrastructure means the PWSA will be able to provide the water, wastewater, and stormwater service to meet or exceed customer expectations for the current and future generations.

To view the 2020-2024 Capital Improvement Plan, please click the following link -

2020-2024 Capital Improvement Plan

To view the PWSA's current infrastructure projects, please click the following link -

Current List of Infrastructure Projects

View project
View Projects

The Team

Edward Barca

Acting Director of Finance

(412) 255-8947

ebarca@pgh2o.com

Read bio
Rachel Romano

Senior Manager, Finance/Controller

(412) 255-8964

RRomano@pgh2o.com

Read bio
John Potanko

Program Manager - Capital Projects

(412) 255-6002

jpotanko@pgh2o.com

Read bio
View Team

Performance Metrics

At the Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority, our goal is to provide our customers with safe, reliable water services. Headwaters, our new organizational performance improvement dashboard, provides a snapshot of our progress. It tracks several metrics that we are measuring across the organization. Take a look to see how we're doing at headwaters.pgh2o.com.

View Performance Metrics